Friday, February 5, 2010

Lama Dance


I In preparation for Losar, Tibetan New Year, the monks have been learning and practicing nearly every night after dinner for the Lama Dance. When they first started in December it was pitch black outside.
This dance is performed by the Shedra monks and is taught to them by the Lama Dance Master. After hearing them practicing and chanting for many nights, I finally inquired asking what were those seemingly mysterious words they were saying as they all moved around in a circle performing various movements. "They are chanting one, two, three," came the reply. Shucks, I knew I should have learned to count in Tibetan.


Ngawang Palden


 


 


The beat of the drum softly thrums with their movements.

Dance Master and Ngawang Tashi

 

  





1 comment:

  1. That drum is absolutely gorgeous...and I can see the movement in your pictures, even though they're stills.

    Lovely.

    ReplyDelete