Thursday, November 26, 2009

Flying to Pokhara

It's Thanksgiving and I thought all I was going to have to do was stuff that turkey and serve that feast.
Well, not so. Lobsang, the school secretary just emailed me that he could pick me up at the airport if I could inform him of my flight and arrival time.
Yeeks, I haven't booked it yet. On to the web. Nepali Air is listed in Lonely Planet, yet I remember something about a goat sacrifice in front of a plane while on the tarmack. Yes, that made international headlines.
In September of 2007 Nepal's state-run airline confirmed that it had sacrificed two goats to appease a Hindu god, following technical problems with one of its aircraft. Nepal Airlines said the animals were slaughtered in front of the plane - a Boeing 757 - at Kathmandu airport.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nepal_Airlines
Checked out some online reviews of NA, and decided to look into Buddha Air; it's a newer company and flies domestic. Good schedule, several flights a day, but ooops, what was that limit on luggage weight - 20 kilograms?
Where's that conversion chart? Ok, that's 44 pounds. I have 3 pieces, 1 large one -70 lbs, (which I will be paying Korean Air and additional $50 ) Mmmmm that's equivalent to 31.8 k., and then there's the mid size bag weighing in at 48 lbs, which is 21.8 k., total of 53.6 which begs an answer "How do I get this "stuff" to Pohkara?"
PS Made reservation online for myself on Buddha Air, received email, responded with above question, now awaiting answer.
Now back to setting the table.







1 comment: